I was very fortunate to be able to give another workshop to the ladies of the Mosaik group recently, where we explored collage art using paper and fabrics. It was a requested theme so I definitely felt the pressure to deliver what they’d asked for. The ladies embraced the theme whole heartedly and threw themselves into creating collages with found objects and pressed leaves and flowers. The results were beautiful.
I used tea bags, book page, some paint and organza as well as a little hand sewing.
These three I added to my junk journal which I think I’ll be using for collages from now on. Why not keep your own junk journal of collages or just to press flowers and leaves, it’s a lovely way to treasure the memory of a favourite walk or garden plant. Dried tea bags too can be beautiful in a background, adding a little vintage feel on a page. I use the smallest bits of paper sometimes as a tiny splash of colour can really lift a collage.
I hope you have a go for yourself as it’s great fun to do and so easy.
Who documents December in a special journal? This random pile is a few of my journals from past years including an altered book, fabric, faux dori and a mini file folder for Instagram photos, I’ve tried them all.
This year I’ve decided to go once again with an altered book but this time I’ve taken the pages out and used only the cover.
I thought I’d go with an elastic style binding to hold the pages in which will enable me to reuse the cover next year.
I used watercolour paper for the inside pages as I can paint, glue and do almost anything I feel like to them without them falling apart and just as a bit of an experiment I decided to tea dye the paper for a bit of a vintage feel.
Oh boy I had no idea that it would make me so happy once the pages were dry. To be honest, I really should have done it before I sewed the pages together as it was a bit of an afterthought but I was so happy with the colour, the staining and even how the pages curled and buckled once they’d dried. I was positively squealing with delight.
I’ve three books or signatures of five papers each sewn together on the sewing machine and these fit through the elastics in the cover.
Today I thought I’d go back and share a project which I made a while back for Canvas Corp but which is still one of my favourite pieces. It was made using Tattered Angels High Impact Paints as a background and offcuts of paper and fabric for flowers.
A couple of weeks ago I gave a workshop to the ladies of the Mosaik group. It was the first one of the year and so nice to see these ladies again.
I thought I’d try and push them out of the size they’re normally used to creating with and have a go at a full sized layout along with some small pre-made embellishments to use with their card making and mini page layouts.
As usual we started with a kit which they loved and I got them sewing through paper and layering elements together as well as adding some touches of gold accents here and there.
The next time we meet will be in May which I’m already planning.
The other workshop was with a group of local ladies who wanted to learn the art of book folding. They’d seen the tree Lena and I had taught Mosaik before Christmas and wanted to do a similar thing. As it’s Spring I showed them a birdhouse complete with little bird and a bit of foliage.
I know it’s only Wednesday but I had to get this in before it was too late. I saw and bought these letters ages ago but wasn’t quite sure how I’d decorate them. I have some of the Haunt It papers by Canvas Corp and these were absolutely perfect for adding that quirky touch.
October is Breast Cancer awareness month and everything is turning pink as a result. Canvas Corp very kindly sent members of the Crew a little goody bag of pink papers, pretty bits and paints to create something to inspire and motivate others as well as help to bring this issue to the front and keep the awareness going.
The contents of my goody bag were gorgeous, all pink, frilly and down right cute. I had the idea to create a canvas of some sort to hang above the desk so after a bit of thought and a cup of tea I decided to just go for it and see what came out.
For the canvas base I covered everything with some music score paper then added a coat of gesso.